Peephole In My Skull

The Daylight War is Finished

Yesterday, Sept. 17, 2012, I sent my publishers the final draft of The Daylight War.

The book is currently scheduled for worldwide English language launch the week of February 11, 2013 (Monday the 11th in the UK, Tuesday the 12th in the US*). The German translation will likely be the first to follow (probably a month or two later), with others dropping later in the year.

I will be touring the US, UK, Germany, Australia, and possibly some other places in the coming year. More on that later. I will also be doing a panel and some signings next month at NY ComicCon Oct. 11-14, 2012. Come say hi!

*Please note this is an update over the previously stated US launch date of Feb. 4, 2013. This shift means I will be 40 when the book releases, rather than 39. I’ll talk about that another time.

There will still be copyediting, proofreading and cover design that I will need to be involved in and approve before the book comes out, but creatively, the project is finished on my end.

It’s been a long time.

Looking back over my word count spreadsheets and manuscript backups (yes, it is OCD, but I need a way to track progress) I see that there was a file titled “Daylight War” as early as May, 2008, but it looks like I didn’t begin work on the project in earnest until around October 2009, which makes sense since I’d just turned in the final version of Desert Spear that September.

And then there was you, dear reader. One of the many advantages to writing in this day and age is that through my website, email, contests, signings and social media, I have had the chance to meet and interact with thousands of readers. It has been an immense honor and joy, not to mention a huge bedrock of support I was not ashamed to lean on at times, but it has brought a degree of pressure as well. I tend to obsess about my work in general, but having more than ten thousand people looking over my shoulder and asking when I will be done has added a new level to it.

With every contest entry and blog hit, every twitter follower and google circle, every facebook friend and author page like, and most of all, every person who takes the time out of their life to come and meet me in person when I visit near (and sometimes even not-so-near) their home, I feel an added weight of responsibility. A pressure to deliver a book that is worthy of the faith you’ve shown in me. To give you my very best work, because you deserve nothing less.

And I think I have.

Is The Daylight War better than The Warded Man or The Desert Spear? That is not for me to decide. It is very different in spirit and intent than those other books, intentionally so. I have grown as a writer and changed as a person over the last few years, and the book reflects that. When I start writing the same book over and over, then it’s time to worry.

But if I cannot say it’s better, I can say that it is the best book I could make it. I cut no corners, skipped no hurdles and took no shortcuts. This is clear in some ways from the sheer size of the book: 254,000 words (5% longer than Desert Spear, and close to 3x the size of your average genre book).

But it’s more clear in the content. Daylight War explores the characters of the Demon Cycle in a new light, adding depth to the world and weight to their actions. If Warded Man was a book about fear and Desert Spear was about opposing cultures struggling to find common ground, Daylight War is, as my editor put it, “a book about relationships”.

And some of them, I think, will surprise you.

I basically locked myself in my office for the last few days, speaking to no one and working 16 hour days to meet the deadline. Yesterday, after submitting the manuscript, I took a couple of hours and went to the park, walking 6 miles while listening to the Dominion novella by CS Friedman on audiobook (note: it is awesome) and trying to find my elusive zen.

I found it hard to unclench.

Increasingly over the last year I have denied myself a lot of little pleasures: video games, movies, TV and most of all my beloved reading time, out of a sense of determination to “Finish the damn book”. Now that I have, I feel an immense relief, but also a little empty. It’s going to take a little time to learn to relax a bit and allow myself to recharge by catching up on all the books and movies and other things I have been shoving aside. To absorb the creativity of others for a time while my own well refills.

I’ll be keeping busy in the coming months, most likely working on my upcoming 4-issue run on Red Sonja, picking up where I left off in Red Sonja: Blue, and finishing the Mudboy novella for Subterranean Press.

The next book in the Demon Cycle series is tentatively titled The Skull Throne. There has been a working file for that book for over a year, with the stepsheet currently at 84 pages, spelling out in great detail the 21 key chapters of the book’s story arc. Doubtless more will be added, but I already have a clear skeleton to start from.

Here’s hoping I can do this one a little… I want to say “faster”, but I don’t think “fast” will ever be a word used to describe me and my writing. How about “less slowly”?

Thank you all for your patience and support over the last few years. It has meant the world to me. I hope to meet a lot of you in person over the coming year.

Posted on September 18, 2012 at 12:37 pm by PeatB
Filed under Appearances, Australia, Craft, Daylight War, Desert Spear, Events, Fans, Germany, Life, Musings, Poland, Red Sonja, Sales, The Daylight War, Warded Man, World Traveler, Writing
67 Comments »

67 responses to “The Daylight War is Finished”

1. Congratulations on putting the DONE stamp on it. Can’t wait to read it.

Posted by Rob B, on September 18th, 2012 at 12:49 pm
  2. Thumbs up! That is a job well done. And now take your time to catch up to the strange thing called life ;)

Posted by Joschka, on September 18th, 2012 at 1:02 pm
  3. Congrats Peat! I’m sure it’ll be every bit as engrossing and entertaining as your others. Hopefully you get some well-deserved decompression time in to spend with your wife and little girl.

Posted by Arthur, on September 18th, 2012 at 1:08 pm
  4. Congrats! Can’t wait to read it.

Posted by Spencer Pranger, on September 18th, 2012 at 1:10 pm
  5. Well done, itching to read it, will read the first 2 again just before release.

Posted by Nigel Young, on September 18th, 2012 at 1:30 pm
  6. Well done and congratulations !
    Enjoy the time now, you’ve made a good job for yours fans !

Posted by Nicolas, on September 18th, 2012 at 2:04 pm
  7. Congratulations, and thank you for writing books for us :) I’m looking forward to see you in Germany (if you will be around Cologne) soon!

Posted by Firyar, on September 18th, 2012 at 2:12 pm
  8. Congrats on finishing TDW, Peat!
    Can’t wait till it’s 18th-20th of Feb :D (Shipping will take a few days)

I guess I should order an English version of TPM and TDS, soon – I’ve only read them in Polish, so far. I really don’t wanna wait till TDW is out in Poland, so I think I should read it all in English, first. (For a better understanding of the vocabulary)

I hope you’ll find time to visit Poland again, next year – I’ll have more books for you to sign by then ^^

Anyway, congrats again. And I wish you luck unwinding :)

Posted by Ral, on September 18th, 2012 at 2:22 pm
  9. Congrats, Peat! :)

Take the downtime, you deserve it!

Posted by Paul Weimer (@princejvstin), on September 18th, 2012 at 4:24 pm
  10. Thank you for being such a wonderful author. Not only in your writing, but in the way you interact with your readers and engage us in real conversation. For being down to earth, approachable, entertaining and genuine. Please, keep it up! The bookworm world truly needs more like you. Can’t wait to embark on your next adventure!

Posted by Ana, on September 18th, 2012 at 8:33 pm
  11. Ana took the words right our of my mouth.

Congrats and thank you. :)

Posted by Margherita, on September 18th, 2012 at 8:43 pm
  12. [...] Peter V. Brett announced today that he has completed The Daylight War, the third volume in his Demon Cycle series. He comments on the experience: When you work on a single project for three years, though massive ups and downs in your personal life and equally massive ups and downs creatively, it is a strange feeling to be done. There were times I never thought the day would come, hurdles in the story I never thought I would surpass. [...]

Posted by Peter V. Brett completes The Daylight War — A Dribble of Ink, on September 18th, 2012 at 8:58 pm
  13. got so excited then saw feb 2013…
    Y U TAKE SO LONG??? i want this book!!
    >:@

Posted by Zach Johnston, on September 18th, 2012 at 11:21 pm
  14. Congratulations Peat, you continue to inspire and impress. Enjoy the time off and for a while at least try to forget the pressure of the next project because surley that’s what it was all for.

Posted by Bad Monkey, on September 19th, 2012 at 2:01 am
  15. [...] You can read more about it HERE. [...]

16. Congratulations, good sir! I hope you take plenty-and-more time & find your Calm, wherever it has wandered off to.

All hail Peat, the Great and Powerful! May his time be unrushed & his peace unbroken.

Posted by Elicius, on September 19th, 2012 at 5:48 pm
  17. Pete-
    Congrats man, I look forward to toasting the fact that the mss is submitted with you. I also look forward to reading that behemoth, with pleasure. Bravo!

Posted by jayf, on September 19th, 2012 at 11:42 pm
  18. Congratulations. I, for one, am very excited about this and look forward to perhaps meeting you when you come over to the UK.

Posted by Nathaniel White, on September 21st, 2012 at 4:58 am
  19. Just out of curousity I thought I would have a nose on your news page, and shocker you have finished.

I almost gave up, becoming more pragmatic but hoping it, and the rest of the series would finish in my life time and not be another Stephen King Dark Tower, that got many of us worried – plus a few did not make it!

That stated excited again now, cannot wait! Well done I am sure it will be the best so far, and when you come to the UK please come to Birmingham.

Posted by David Coley, on September 24th, 2012 at 10:23 am
  20. I promise not to write myself into the story like King did.

Posted by Peat, on September 24th, 2012 at 10:53 am
  21. I found out i enjoyed reading because of your books i read the painted man and straight after got the desert spear. I try reading other books and it just aint the same. Youve got a style of writing that captures my imagination. Peter you are truely talanted

Posted by callum k, on September 27th, 2012 at 8:33 pm
  22. I wanna read the new book too! But I think that’s going to be a while when I finally see the book.
    In Estonia the translating is very slow and I think I finnaly get to read it in my language next year.
    But it’s an option that I could read it in English – I think it would be fun!
    Congrats! I’m with you!

Posted by ketri, on September 29th, 2012 at 5:00 am
  23. Gratz Peat, can’t wait till I get my hands on TDW.
    Shame we have to wait till February… :P
    Btw, is there any chance for ecranisation? I’m perfectly aware of adaptation’s limitations (mostly they suck a lot ;)), yet it would be nice to see the world You created (especially corelings) on big screen. :)

Posted by Ignatius, on September 30th, 2012 at 3:54 pm
  24. thank you! i have not had any good books to read in a while.i really liked your fresh ideas. keep up the good work , as i crack the whip.

Posted by tim pal, on October 7th, 2012 at 1:14 am
  25. Absolutely fantastic news. The painted man was the book which got me back into reading fantasy as an adult. Without Pete I’d never have read George R.R. Martin, Brandon Sanderson or any of the other big names in Fantasy literature. The painted man definitely holds a special place for me above others for that reason. I’ll be re-reading both it and The Desert Spear in anticipation!

Posted by Mike P, on October 9th, 2012 at 1:47 am
  26. Good news indeed and hope you take a much deserved break. Of the books you have been avoiding reading, it would be interesting to know which is top of your pile!

One of the reasons I am most looking forward to Daylight War is that I have no idea what to expect. You threw a curve ball in your approach to the second book and I can’t wait to see how you surprise us with number three…

Posted by Nick Brett, on October 19th, 2012 at 11:34 am
  27. Congrats on finishing the book. Any chances it will come out as an e book?

Posted by faZ, on October 23rd, 2012 at 10:22 pm
  28. Hi Peter,

I just finished the Desert Spear today and jumped on your website a second later to see if the 3rd was available. A little disheartened to hear I have to wait another 4 months (I feel like something is missing inside my brain&heart now that I have finished the book), but stoked to hear its coming eventually – take a break mate, you deserve it!
    Just want to add also, that you are now amongst my favourite writers of all time!!

If you’re looking for a fun read in your down time check out a great Australian author Greig Beck and his first book Beneath the Dark Ice.

Much love from down under =)
    Svend’Peter

Posted by Svend'Peter, on October 24th, 2012 at 2:27 am
  29. The e-book will be available the same day the print version is.

Posted by megelizabeth, on October 24th, 2012 at 9:17 pm
  30. After Warded Man (/Painted Man) and the Desert Spear I was looking forward to “Hollow’s Ward Witch”.
    Cause that would make sense.

The titles of the first 2 books directly reflect on who the lead character of the book is.
    Book 1: Arlen
    Book 2: Jardir

I can’t wait to read the Daylight War, but as for the title, I reckon you should have kept going with linking lead characters to the book titles. Its fresh.
    However naming a book to the mayor event thats taking place is alot more common.

Ahh, but you are the writer, you probably had a reason to change.
    Anyway I can’t wait to read the book.
    Keep up the good work !

Posted by Kwitz, on October 28th, 2012 at 12:05 pm
  31. Was laying in bed thinking about how much I love this series and decided to look up release dates – the February release date has entirely made my week. Thank you for being an author! I also didn’t realise it was going to be five books, an even more exciting turn of events!

Posted by Tahnee Woolford, on November 4th, 2012 at 5:56 am
  32. Just looking at my book shelf and thought…. wonder if Peter Brett’s got onto that third book I’ve been so damn keen to read? Found this page and became very excited! Awesome news and very much looking forward to Feb 2013. Will you be attending the Comic Cons in Australia? Will definitely come along to say G’Day if you are! Cheers for the awesome read so far!!

Posted by Kymbo, on November 6th, 2012 at 4:44 am
  33. Congratulations on submitting the final version! Got suitably excited reading this update :)
    I have hooked my whole extended family on to your books and they all love them although are very impatient for the next one as they are that good.
    Well done indeed – very impressive work, up there with Feist when he was writing decent books, far better than his current ones, you are delivering some of the best books I have ever read so thank you for the hours of entertainment!

Posted by Ian, on November 9th, 2012 at 7:25 am
  34. Congratulatios man! I’ve waiting your book for a long time! I can’t wait to read it! I expect that it would be perfect like the others book!

Posted by Franco, on November 10th, 2012 at 10:21 am
  35. hey peat,
    firstly, congrats on finishing the ”The Daylight War”.
    I’ve re read the other books about 10 times each so defo need the new material.
    Also just to keep you up to date you may remember i mentioned my wife was pregnant and if the kid was a boy we were gonna call him Arlen. Well Arlen was born on 4th nov ( a month early) weighing in at 6lb 2 oz.
    full name is Arlen Joseph Horsfall so hopefully once your over in uk again on book tour and im not off on tour with army to afghan or wargaming for few weeks i should be able to finally get a few books signed and introduce you to Arlen.
    have fun on your well earned rest and hope you and yours are all good.

Posted by Ian Horsfall, on November 11th, 2012 at 4:33 pm
  36. I have just read The Desert Spear for the second time. I loved it even more on the second go!

Cant wait to read the next one.

Ricky
    South Africa

Posted by Ricky Brown, on November 14th, 2012 at 10:09 am
  37. I am sooo excited!!!!!!! AHHHHH!! Congrats of course and I can not wait to read it! :) :) :)

Posted by Kamen Rose, on November 16th, 2012 at 12:45 pm
  38. Congrats

Posted by Dante, on November 20th, 2012 at 8:35 am
  39. Congratulations! Can’t wait
    Just finished rereading both of the books! so well timed ;-)

Posted by mo, on November 21st, 2012 at 1:40 pm
  40. Well done mate, I look forward to reading this novel :)

Posted by Casey, on November 22nd, 2012 at 1:00 am
  41. YES ! ! ! Can’t wait !

Posted by alix, on December 6th, 2012 at 7:23 pm
  42. Congrats!! I’m very excited and will now re read wm and ds to make sure I get maximum enjoyment frOm the new book. Great job and see you in australia!

Posted by Brett, on December 8th, 2012 at 10:47 pm
  43. That’s great news. Really looking forwards to reading it :)

Posted by Jack, on December 14th, 2012 at 5:38 pm
  44. Little late here Peat!

SOrry !

CONGRATZ! WOOOOOHOOOO !

Posted by LordNazgul, on December 28th, 2012 at 1:29 pm
  45. Can hardly wait for The Daylight War to be available in audio-book format on itunes!!! A mind-blowing saga that incorperates my most very favourite genre of story, fantasy and horror combined!!!

Posted by Tracey Bradley, on December 29th, 2012 at 8:05 am
  46. Just revisited this site after a long period away . Congrats on finishing the book and i’m looking forward to this one . The whole Painted man series has me quite gripped Painted is my Favorite book at the moment for too many reasons . Anyway congrats and look forward to some Book signings

Robert

Posted by Robert, on January 4th, 2013 at 11:26 pm
  47. Congratulations!! Looking forward to meeting you when make your trip to the UK, hopefully you can make it to Ireland if not I’ll be booking time off work and flights to catch you.
    Just bought a 1st edition of the Great Bazar and finished it in a day renewing my zeal for the Demon Cycle!

Posted by Fiachra Horan, on January 7th, 2013 at 8:04 am
  48. Just checked the release date for TDW and now soo happy as I is coming out on my birthday YAY

Posted by Chris, on January 10th, 2013 at 5:53 am
  49. I just wanted to say thank you and let you know that both my boys and I are waiting patiently for your new book. I read the Warded Man years ago and suggested it to my boys, both of which have fallen in love with it. I enjoyed Desert Spear more than the first one, which is fairly unusual, in most cases the second book simply carries on the tale, relationships, etc. It’s always a pleasure when I discover a new author, well new to me at least. I look forward to anything else you choose to write. Thank you again.

Posted by Chris, on January 10th, 2013 at 4:53 pm
  50. Congratulations! I have been waiting for your new book for over a year now and I’m sure I will be more than satisfied. I discovered you just a couple of years ago when I read The Warded Man and must say it was one of my better discoveries. Thank you for putting so time and effort into your work. It really is worth it!

Posted by Melissa, on January 10th, 2013 at 6:07 pm
  51. Congratulations on finishing The Daylight War! I’ve been waiting since I finished Desert Spear…which incidentally was the same day it came out. I have no illusions that I will be able to prevent myself from follow the same path again…which means for a good 6 hours I will be immensely happy and absorbed into your fantastical world…only to come out on the other end waiting with even more impatience for the next instalment. It only goes to show that what you put into the book, your readers will get out tenfold, if not more. So even though I may rant and rave about when the next book will be heading our way. I know that at the end of the day it is only because you put so much of yourself into every book that it has me counting down the years, months, weeks, days until the next one.

Thank you for the 12 hours of excitement, danger, romance, action and everything in between. I’m looking forward to another 6 hours of it.

Posted by Alix, on January 15th, 2013 at 2:20 pm
  52. Just been on to your site, to see if you had a release date for next book in TDC series, and what awesome news. Cant wait till Feb 11th. First 2 were amongst the best fantasy books that I have read, and am sure this will be worth the wait. THANKS

Posted by Trevor, on January 20th, 2013 at 8:14 am
  53. Like many I’m an avid reader of fantasy, at times we all feel a certain accord to characters we read. Your stories give reason to writers and readers to cherish and love the fantasy genre:). Been waiting a long time to read the daylight wars!!

Posted by Daniel, on January 27th, 2013 at 6:55 pm
  54. Well done mate can’t imagine how hard it must be to write such an epic story such as yours Csnt wait for it to come out not long now!!

Posted by Clayton, on January 30th, 2013 at 5:14 am
  55. Fantastic! Been looking forward to this since finishing Desert Spear almost a year ago. The wait’s been torture! The Painted Man (what they call “Warded Man” in UK!) and Desert Spear totally blew me away, totally brilliant. Please keep writing (once you’ve enjoyed a well deserved break!)!

Posted by Pete, on February 3rd, 2013 at 5:08 pm
  56. I just finished. Awesome!!! Daylight War is a brilliant continuation. Patience will be the operative. I look forward to the direction in which you take the Demon Cycle. Thank you

Posted by John Torunian, on February 18th, 2013 at 11:05 am
  57. Just finished Daylight War. Totally lost for words.
    What happened to the ending?
    How can you just stop a book like that!
    Strangely disappointed in this third book.

Posted by Yvonne Linning, on February 22nd, 2013 at 1:18 am
  58. Hi Peter,

Do you have any idea when the daylight war will come in France ?

Posted by Nicolas, on February 23rd, 2013 at 4:45 am
  59. Just finished reading this one… absolutely loved it!!! Love the series, such a great read!!! Thank you :)
    Just have to wait for the next one now :(

Posted by James, on March 3rd, 2013 at 4:10 am
  60. First I want to say GOOD JOB soo far.YOU did a GREAT work by writing these books.I hope you relax after writing this book.
    But i have 2 wishes:
    1)I reeeeally hope YOU make Arlen:-) and not someone else a Deliverer(and if YOU go with 2 or 3 people to combine a Deliverer that would be just :-( )

2)I understand that YOU have too relax(I too am a biiiig fan of video games ;-) ) but PLEASE DONT WAIT FOR 3 OR MORE YEARS for next book

If YOU ever come to Serbia dont forget too call :-)

Again YOU did a HUGE job with these books.I REALLY hope that we will watch these series at a big screen.

Relax and have a blast while writing Throne

Posted by Djordje, on March 5th, 2013 at 11:59 am
  61. The book is simply amasing,i already love it and for short period of time i became your huge fan.I can’t wait for next book,please write as many books as you can,this is fantastic,masterpiece.You are a god.Characters,story,actions,simply amasing.Your huge fan from Serbia,Aca.

Posted by Djordje, on March 5th, 2013 at 12:16 pm
  62. awsome!
    just a little disappointed in the ending :(
    now ill have to wait 2 years or more to learn how it continue … it will drive me mad 100%

Posted by Filip, on March 18th, 2013 at 12:39 pm
  63. Hey Peter, loved your books and i have been dying to read this one for the past 8 or so months. and so the time has finally come ! yipee!!

do you know when this awesome book will be out in South Africa.

Oh and can you give me the number of the cover girl ;) wink wink nudge nudge =)

thanks man cant wait!

Posted by Emporork, on March 20th, 2013 at 1:32 pm
  64. Hi.

Warning may spoil little

Have to say this was truly great Book to read…but i think that i am somewhat annoyed what you did with Arlen, Renna and Leesha…..More likely my own thought about that Arlen Deserved more than 1 woman and liked ArlenxLeesha more.

Well Leesha said that he would not be second wife to any man…
    possible spoiler over

Why i get feeling that seeing what happened at the End…..You Just Unleashed Krasian Army from their Chains and blood will flow in Thesan Lands?

Posted by Jarjaxle, on May 24th, 2013 at 12:08 am
  65. Just Finished Daylight War.. love the ending.
    really looking forward to nxt instalment.

Thanks for hours and hours of fun

Posted by Mary, on September 30th, 2013 at 4:30 pm
  66. read The Painted Man,The Desert Spear.just finished The Daylight War. Like the twists you made Like putting Renna with Arlen instead of Leesha. And giving Roger Krasian brides. Cant wait for the next.. AWESOME

Posted by Choque Loniros, on October 28th, 2013 at 3:39 am
  67. Loved this trilogy so much and i read a lot of fantasy. Excellent read, well structured characters who meant something to me and great plot development! However, one little note of sadness..the ending! I reads as though there will be another book??? Possibly another series of books akin to Robert Jordan? If not and this is truly the end then i would like a chat with Mr Brett. On a positive, brilliant trilogy.

Posted by cameron don, on December 7th, 2013 at 4:25 pm